11.21.2012

Thanksgiving Wednesday

I took the day off work to prepare for Thanksgiving. Our Internet keeps disregarding our service, so I'll just keep updating on my phone.

Tomorrow, I am hosting Thanksgiving for up to 16 people. omfg.

Yesterday, my dad took me shopping. I got ingredients for the following dishes:
- Cranberry, Sausage and Apple Stuffing (which I guess is technically "dressing" because I'm not stuffing the turkey with it)
- Cranberry Spinach Salad with walnuts and ingredients for the salad dressing
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes (red)
- spinach dip
- deviled eggs (my phone wanted me to say "devolved" eggs...not sure which is more true)
- green beans, which I'll whip up in a skillet
- rolls
- stuff for The Turkey That Ate Indiana. I got a 20.25 lb. turkey this year. I'm a bit nervous it might kill me in my sleep.

So today, David just went to the store and spent more money on alcohol, cleaning products, and tobacco than what my father spent on the food. I haven't lifted a finger yet, other than to watch Monkees episodes on YouTube and make some Easy Mac.

When he gets home, we're going to have lunch and then start cleaning, going from upstairs to down. I'm making some dishes today: the spinach dip, deviled eggs, salad dressing, and brine for the turkey (to be implemented tonight).

6:12:  Taking a break from cleaning.  Just brushed about ten pounds of cat hair off the dining room chairs.  Just realized we don't have anywhere near 16 chairs.  Some people will just have to sit on the table.  I never did get my act together enough to make a centerpiece that someone on Pinterest probably made from scratch.  Thing is, the only time I feel like going to Hobby Lobby is on Sundays.  OH and I didn't feel like it.

The only other thing I've done now besides clean (and watch the latest "My Drunk Kitchen") is drink a Rock Star and then fall out of commission for about twenty minutes because Rock Stars and Red Bulls make me hilariously sick to my stomach.  I say "hilarious" because even though I feel like puking, I'm still running around crazy-eyed and talking in half sentences, spraying Windex on random furniture (none of it made of glass).

Also, after David finished tidying up with the front porch, he walked in with a big yellow bag containing the phone book and was like, "What the fuck is this?"

7:12:  Did not deliberately try to update exactly an hour after my last one.

We've started cleaning the kitchen, because I don't think eating something from a stove that's covered in cat hair and dried marinara sauce is very appetizing... could just be me?

I've also started on some food:  I'm thawing the spinach for spinach dip (by putting the package in a bowl of warm water), and I've got the eggs in a stockpot, heating on the stove.  When that starts boiling, I'll remove it from heat, cover it, and let it sit for 17 minutes.  Boom, hard boiled eggs.  The difficult part is removing the shells from those bitches.  Not looking forward to that.  Last year, I had eggshell in my hair nearly all day.

Once the spinach is thawed, I'll need to drain the crap out of it.  I do this by wrapping it in paper towels and wringing it dry.  This process makes my sink look like a swamp.

I think I'll do the brining part last, because that works out practically with our cleaning schedule, but I know that it's really important to let the turkey brine for as long as possible.  I really should also check to see if it's thawed all the way.  But... but "Into the West" is on...

9:08:  I was boiling salt water to prepare the brine, and this happened:


The water boiled over, despite me using olive oil.  Oh well.  Another thing to clean.

David has been watching Avatar for a while now... I'm going to need to start nagging to get the living room, dining room, the rest of the kitchen, and back deck clean.  He has to do it tonight while I'm doing food prep because he has to work tomorrow.  HE HAS TO FREAKING WORK TOMORROW.  From 8 to "2-ish."  Son of a bitch.

I'll have to do everything myself all morning... which is okay, I guess, because that's how it was when I hosted my first Thanksgiving.

Meanwhile, the spinach dip is made and chilling in the fridge.  The hard boiled eggs are also chilling in the fridge for a while, because I just saw an article saying to chill them for much longer than I have in the past.  I'm hoping this will make them easier to peel.

I've gotta let the brine cool for a while.  Like reeeally cool.  I should've started it hours ago because of this, probably.  This is because you can't put a raw turkey in a warm brine.  Unless you want you and your guests to get sick, and in that case, you're kind of a twisted bastard.

Will start on the salad dressing soon.

11:05:  Salad dressing done.  BRINE STILL HOT.  I've put ice in it and everything.  House still not clean. :(

12:12:  House is much cleaner because I told David I was getting "nervous."  BRINE IS STILL FUCKING HOT.  WHAT THE FUCKIES.

I suppose I should now start a "Thanksgiving Thursday" post.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck tomorrow! I feel like the cleaning (at least for me) takes more time than the cooking and serving haha.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, that is right on. We've been cleaning the house in spurts all day, but I feel like most of the cooking is like (1) prep, then (2) put it near a heat source, then (3) forget about it for a certain length of time.

      Delete
  2. I didn't wait until my brine was cool. I just put it in there rather warm and chucked it in the fridge. I hope I don't kill everyone. I, too, have a 20 lbs. turkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should cool pretty quickly once it gets in the fridge. What you really don't want is HOT brine on raw turkey, because then it'll partially start to cook and then sit in its own juices like that for hours. Maybe add some ice to it to make sure the brine is cooled down.

      (However, I don't work for the USDA, so I could be wrong.)

      Delete