11.22.2012

And now Thanksgiving, i.e. "Gourmet Thursday"

12:36:  The last handful of ice that I put into the brining mixture must have worked, because it's finally cool enough to DO ITS STUPID JOB.

I cut open the turkey's packaging and removed all the inside stuff -- those things went into a Tupperware for the fridge.  I also removed several chunks of ice, but that's pretty normal.  My hand, by this time, was red and not really functioning.  It... was pretty cold.

David held the brining bag while I rinsed the turkey off a bit.  I then placed the turkey breast down into the bag.  While I poured the brine mixture into the bag over the turkey, David thoroughly scrubbed the pan in which the turkey had thawed.  We sealed the bag, placed it back into the pan, and put it into the fridge.  I was so concerned about logistics that I forgot to put any more herbs into the bag first, but seriously -- who's going to eat my turkey tomorrow and think, "Oh wow, she obviously brined this with fresh rosemary and Turkish olive oil."

I might get up at some point during the night to rotate the turkey, as the brine doesn't cover the whole thing.  It is, however, breast side down, so I'm a little torn on that.

1:15:  #ReplaceSongTitlesWithTurkey is trending on Twitter, and I did my part (I was very clever, of course), but the more I read through the trend, the more the word "turkey" looks misspelled and... just increasingly weird.  I remembered that there was an actual explanation for that, so I'm now on Wikipedia while I take a break from nagging David and peeling eggs:  Semantic Satiation

1:19:  Also, Jamais vu.  The word "turkey" is so fucking weird.

11:35:  Taking a quick break to update.  I got up around 8:30, showered, and started getting the turkey ready.  And damn, that thing was heavy.  I put it in a pan, surrounded it with some veggies and broth, chocked it full of butter, garlic, and onions.  It's now in the oven.

I've got green beans in a crockpot instead of a skillet -- my mom gave me the idea when she said she was bringing asparagus with cream in a crockpot (which I'm really looking forward to).

David's home for lunch right now, and he's tidying up a bit (YAY THANK YOU) before heading back to work.

Everything is pretty relaxed right now, actually.  I do expect this to change.

___________________________________________________

Oh, and it so changed.  With David at work, I simply did not have enough hands.  I waited way too long to update for the rest of Thanksgiving, but I was extremely exhausted.

All the food, however, turned out delicious.  The turkey was moist and tender, all the dishes people brought were wonderful.  My green beans actually didn't do too well, but I didn't really care, because I was totally winging that dish.


That's my brother, being silly.  His eight-year-old daughter set the table, and I think she did a great job.


3 comments:

  1. I love you for posting language links to wikipedia. GOod luck with the turkey...however you spell it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I never heard of brining a turkey, it seems like a big job? I thaw my turkey, season it, stuff it solid with onions and herbs, put it in a pan with more onions and stock, s & p, and cook! it always comes out delish! what is the trick to brining, what is the purpose?
    happy thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brining isn't really a big effort, but it has a great benefit of making meat very, very tender and moist. I always brine the turkey, since turkey can dry out so easily. The trick to brining is to simply take a (thawed or fresh) turkey, place it in a brining bag (they sell seal-able bags at grocery stores, OR my brother uses a cooler), and fill the bag with brine. Brine mixture is usually just a gallon or two of cold water, and a cup of salt per gallon of water. People add in herbs as well.

      Delete