2.29.2012

I've been a lot fucking better, then.

Anyone who knows me relatively well knows that I have been a die-hard Monkees fan since I was about two years old.  And just now, at work, my cubemate waved me off my headphones to tell me that Davy Jones died. 

I am absolutely stunned.  He seemed healthy -- fit, even -- for 66, and he died of a heart attack.


The wind was knocked out of me.  I realized that I'd always feared this moment, when the Monkees would start to die off, since it was a bit of a life goal of mine to meet each one of them.  Since I met Peter Tork in November 2009, I had started to think that I was on a roll and could take my time.  After all, Peter is the oldest one and has had some health problems (cancer) in the last few years, so I feared the loss of him the most.  But.... Davy Jones?  A man who had aged well, sang and danced on stage often, raced horses for fun?  Not him. 

I'm dressed in all black today anyway, as my co-worker's visitation is this evening.  It's such a sad day, yet it's 64 degrees out and sunny on the last day of February. 

After my cubemate alerted me to the news, I pulled up tmz.com, and there was the headline -- along with a picture of him looking like he's psychotically yelling at the help, so I was like, "Really?  There seriously wasn't a better picture of him on file?"  And I shakily stood up as my boss was leaving his office, and I told him what happened in a small voice.  My boss knows I'm a hardcore Monkees fan, and to his credit, he actually seemed genuinely upset for me.  And then I said to him, "I want my mommy," because I'm just professional like that.

I texted David, who's at home preparing for an interview tomorrow, and I called my mom, who was with a student (she's an academic advisor at Purdue) so she couldn't talk much.  I keep checking the news sites, looking for updates, and every time I see the headline and a picture of him, it breaks my heart and makes me want to puke. 

And I've got a meeting in fifteen minutes.


I will always remember you, Davy Jones.

3 comments:

  1. I meant to get in touch with you when I heard the news, hope things are going at least somewhat okay on your end. You were actually the first person I thought of when I heard the news.

    On a totally unrelated note, in which subject is your mother an academic advisor? That's what Karen does as well. She's been in computer science for the past few years, but just last week accepted a new advising position in upper division biology. Just curious!

    DW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey D! Thanks for your thoughts.

    Mom's in BRNG for Liberal Arts, naturally. :)

    ReplyDelete