1.07.2012

About bloggers.

Bloggers are narcissists.

They are narcissists to the point where one of them, out of "concern," commented on one of my posts with a mightily sincere "What a day!," accompanied (of course) with a link to her idiotic blog.  Her latest blog post, where she complained about getting three birthday gifts from her friends (when's the last time I got a birthday gift from someone other than family?  I don't know, because I don't care, and it's highly unnecessary), I commented and told her she was being a bit selfish -- because, as we all know, just because we successfully arrived at a birthday does not necessarily mean we deserve fucking gifts for doing so -- and she responded by complaining about getting cards for her birthday.

Oh my fucking God, people remembered my birthday with fucking CARDS and now I have to kill myself.

Stupid.

HEY EVERYONE, INCLUDING FAMILY:  Feel free to never get me another birthday present for the rest of my life.  Writing on my Facebook wall warms my heart just fine.  Reason:  I don't give a shit about birthday gifts, or my birthday -- even if it is at the most awesome time of year ever -- and I'm not the kind of passive aggressive idiot that enjoys bashing her friends for not giving her cheap trinkets for a ridiculous reason.

Like this blogger, my birthday coincides with a national holiday.  Unlike this blogger, I don't get my panties in a pouty little wad about it.  

6 comments:

  1. Could she have simply have misjudged the tone of her own writing? I find many bloggers write with only a narrow slice of their whole personality. There's the tone you intend, and then there's the tone heard by people who know nothing of you except for what you have written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This had me laughing :)

    Sounds like this gal is a teensy bit spoiled. Whatever happened to "It's the thought that counts?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. That sucks. What a bitch.
    ...
    ...

    Check out my blog! http://www.diaryofadyinggirl.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha

      That's actually funny because I already follow your blog. ;)

      Delete
  4. ...Just kidding.

    I actually do have an opinion on this.

    You are very, very right about the fact that most bloggers are narcissists. But the thing to remember about a lot of bloggers is that just like in life away from the keyboard, there is a range of different people, backgrounds, and personality facets to be acknowledged. And some people, frankly, just have no tact. I would bet by the immature sounding response and blog posts that this poor girl probably has no idea what it's like to not be showered with gifts and attention. Or, maybe she's just now finding out what it's like and is having a hard time without the excessive support and spotlight. I guess at the end of my rant, my advice is to try and spot the root of the offense rather than the surface stuff to get upset about. Even playground bullies have a reason they're that way. Life's rough for them in some place other than the playground, y'know? If your blog is about 'learning to become and adult,' I think a really important step to take is to look past the initial text and read deeper into why people are the way they are before responding. And generally, it's a good idea to respond with knowledge and kindness rather than frustration. This reflects on you in a better light, and in the end, saves a lot of heartache on all sides.


    <3 -J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what Jorah, you're right. When I hit my mid-twenties and started ending friendships I had for years, I was really upset. Then someone older told me that everyone goes through an evaluation of their friendships when they're in their twenties. He was pretty flippant about it, too -- "Pfft, get over it, happens to everyone" -- and that made me even more upset. I guess I'm pretty sensitive about receiving gifts, though... I wanted to yell at the blogger because I never got gifts from friends, and I was none the wiser, so she came off pretty selfish and "gimme." But you're right. There are two sides.

      Delete