1.12.2012

12 for 2012 -- a.k.a., things I put off in 2011

It's a little late to make New Year's resolutions, but that's fine because I'm not really into that concept.  Instead, I made a list of things I would like to do this year.  I'll cross them off once I complete them.  I'm excited about my list -- let me know what you think.


12 for 2012

1.  Take a cooking class
I learned how to cook on my own, and I suspect there are a lot of things I don't know -- expect a post in the near future about a roasted chicken snafu, for example.  I'd love to know more about how to cook from scratch on a budget.  Maybe that's a contradiction in terms, or hell, maybe it's redundant.  But I don't even know, because I haven't gone out there to learn about it.  The only two places that hold cooking classes in my town are Kitchen Art and the International Center (which has a really outdated website).  I called Kitchen Art, and the woman said to check back for the schedule.  I hope it isn't too expensive.

What up, salmon cakes.

2.  Go out dancing
I suck at dancing, but I'd like to put the nearly $300 worth of ballroom dancing lessons to good use.  The only time I ever got the ex to dance with me outside of a dance class was at a wedding, and we stuck out like a sore thumb among the other people our age who were doing little more than hugging while swaying from side to side.  I'm going to convince whoever I can to take me dancing somewhere appropriate for waltzing, even if that means we have to crash the social night at an old folks' home. 

3.  Live off the land
This means anything from a simple weekend camping trip to a full-on week-long Survivorman-style adventure.  I know that my mom is yelling at her monitor right now -- "You CAN'T do that.  I am NOT going to let you.  You're going to get hurt!!  Or... or a bear might eat you!!  What if you get hurt and can't move?!?!  What if you get AUDITED?!?!?!"  But despite my mother's worries and yelling, at some point this year, I am going to catch a fish, gut it, throw it on a fire, and then eat it.  And not frivolous, either:  I'm not going to just drive somewhere, hop in a creek, and catch the fish.  I will do that because I am hungry. 

4.  Complete P90X
I have a couple of different reasons for wanting to do this.  One -- yes, I'd like to look smoking hot.  Two -- I'd like to complete at least something, one damn time, for once.  Three -- I'd like to get in the habit of working out.  I hear these strange, freaky people say that after a while, they look forward to working out, and they feel bad if they can't do it.  I'd like to be one of those strange, freaky people.

I'll have to do this if I want more of THESE bad boys.

5.  Stabilize my finances
At this point, creating a savings account that I don't tap into and staying within my credit card limit is a bit of a lofty goal, considering my household is single income at the moment.  It's actually not that bad, but it's something I worry about.  David is applying pretty much everywhere and has been to a few interviews, but he hasn't come across the best opportunity yet.  Until then, I'm just going to try to keep my head above water, but when he does find a good job again, it's time to save more money.  I really need to accomplish this in 2012.

6.  Sell a piece of writing
I haven't done this since I was 19 years old.  It really isn't that hard to look in a writer's almanac and see who pays for freelance writing, but I haven't really considered doing it again until now.  It's an easy way to make some cash, and at any rate, I'd be writing at least.  Hell, maybe I'll even look into those spammy-looking ads on Craigslist.  I just miss seeing my name on a byline -- something that, despite being a technical writer for a living, I haven't seen in years.

The last time I had a byline was eight years ago.

7.  De-junk the house
I wanted to have a garage sale in October, but I was too busy/lazy/mostly lazy to follow through with my plan.  While it's still cold out, I'd like to box up old clothes, books, CDs and decorations; those boxes will go in the garage and go up for sale once it gets warm out.  I could sell things on Craigslist and Ebay.  Things like, say, my wedding dress, which I don't have much use for anymore.  (Well... hell, even if I had gotten married, I wouldn't really have a use for it, right?)  Point is, there's simply too much crap in my house.

It's time for this to go.
Wait.  Lemme just...look at the pretty...



...K.  I'm good.

8.  Finish house projects that I've started
My master bedroom is sitting in ruins.  The plaster I took down in the kitchen is still untrimmed.  The area in the backyard that David and I chopped up in order to install a pond and plant flowers is now overgrown again.  This year, I want to finish all these projects -- before I start any more new ones.



9.  Get caught up on laundry
Sounds weird, but I have always been behind on laundry.  There are shirts I haven't worn -- or seen -- in months because they're probably at the bottom of a closet somewhere (maybe in the closet of the room that's all torn up right now).  Part of this may require the achievement of #8 so that I can start a new project, which would be to redo the laundry room.  That room isn't very efficient in its current design, and I'd like to change that.  I at least want some shelving in there!

This picture was taken eight years ago, where I'm showing off my mad laundry skillz.  I haven't gotten any better; actually, I think I've gotten worse.

10.  Refinance my mortgage
This is a long story, but in a nutshell, I still own the house with my ex, and I've been trying to refinance for months.  It's going to take a lot of effort, but I really need to get this done.  I don't know how, and I don't know what it'll cost me, but I think there's a big part of me that is still haunted by that relationship because he still owns half the house.  So it's actually imperative that I do this for the sake of my sanity.

11.  Kill a fucking huge spider
David usually does the spider-killing.  I help by running into another room, screaming, and getting hives.  In 2010, he killed a pregnant black widow on the front porch, and the stain from that horrifying night is still there on the concrete.  But what if he's not at home someday, and I find a 50 pound spider in the living room eating the kittehs?  I have to be calm enough to kill it with a revolver. 

12.  Leave the state at least once
 I've left the state several times, but now is not the time to get complacent.  I don't have any trips planned, but expect there to be some once my money is good. 

What do you think?  What are everyone's goals for this year?

5 comments:

  1. thanks for the ideas for my list! doing a cooking class is a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While my list isn't necessarily in order of importance, the cooking class was the very first thing I thought of doing. It sits right at the top! Love your blog, I just started following.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. Spiders. Horrific. I started to kill them myself when I lived alone and I had two kittens. I'd heard about animals getting bitten, too, and I figured I'd rather kill them than let them crawl on me when I was asleep. However, please believe I screamed and left the room to collect myself first. I've gotten better, but three months ago, I went to get my daughter ready in the morning. When I rolled her over, large spider crawled across her thigh, and I screamed and Spouse disposed of it. #protectivemomfail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Specific goals seem more realistic than a generalized "resolution". You're smart. I'm impressed (and a tad intimidated) that you have a mortgage! Yikes! I also want to read the story of this wedding dress that never got used......hmm, maybe I'll try to find it on here. I found you through 20sb by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep... that story is on here somewhere... look around August, maybe, of 2010. Was supposed to get married October 2010.

      Delete