2.16.2011

Pizza in the morning, pizza in the evening, pizza in the bathroom at 4 a.m.

I posted several months ago about D.'s stomach's aversion to pizza. In that post, I wrote about his severe acid reflux, and how ever since he became my roomie, I've had to re-think the spice factor in everything I cook.

Well, after months of nagging (and years of nagging from my aunt and other cousins), he finally made an appointment with a gastroenterologist, and upon hearing D.'s symptoms, the doc immediately scheduled him for an upper GI endoscopy (or more specifically, an esophagogastroduodenoscopy, which I would type out every time, but my hands will start to cramp). This procedure was of special interest to me, because I work for the medical device industry, and I've been to lectures and presentations about our endoscopy procedures.

Anyway, D. needed someone to drive him home, so I went with him. Everyone kept thinking I was his wife. Fortunately, I was able to answer the nurse's questions while he was getting the procedure done. When they wheeled him back in after the procedure, he was hilariously drugged up.

D.: [mumble]
Me: What? Do you need anything?
D.: ... what?
Me: I didn't hear you. I asked if you needed anything.
D.: What? No. Get out of my shit.
[five seconds later]
D.: hiiiiiiii cuzziiiieeeeeeee!
Me: Hiiiii. How you feeling?
D.: Fine. I was here and now I'm here again.

A few minutes later, the doctor came in. He showed us pictures of D.'s esophagus, which is blotchy with esophogitis -- but no Barrett's, which is difficult and painful to treat, and I believe it also quickly leads to esophogeal cancer. D. also has a very small hiatal hernia, which could be contributing to the acid reflux. The doctor has put D. on a medication meant to regulate the acid in his stomach, and the intent is to get the esophogitis to clear up. He's also on orders to quit smoking (which we'll do together), lose a little weight, and refrain from eating right before bedtime. I must say, as someone who works for the medical device industry, I was excited to see an endoscope in action and view the pictures.

Since that appointment, D.'s stomach has been doing great. After dinner the other night, he said he felt bad in a "weird" way. After he thought about it for a while, he suddenly said, "Maybe I'm just... full? Maybe I'm full in a 'normal' way?" I just looked at him, and he said, "Usually when I'm full I just get indigestion really bad and I throw up." It didn't occur to me that he didn't know what feeling full actually was like. He's also managed to go from his usual 15-20 Rolaids-a-day habit to one or two, if that.

So, because of all this, we decided to do an experiment last night: we ordered pizza. He ate about two slices and later a couple of breadsticks... not all that much, at least for him. He stopped eating around 9 p.m. and went to bed around 11, so a full two hours between dinner and bedtime. From what I saw, he only visited the Rolaids bottle once.

Yet he still got up at four this morning to vomit.

And I was so hopeful to eat pizza every day for the rest of my life. :(

In other news, I'm about to come in to some money, and I'd like a new kitchen gadget. Something, anything. Maybe something organizational, or... I don't know. Send your suggestions. I'm already getting things for the rest of the house, but kitchen stuff is new to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment