1.24.2011

The team I'm rooting for is Team Party.

I badgered D. into letting me have my first-ever Super Bowl party. His 46" plasma screen television probably helped him make that decision. Counting kids and spouses, I've invited almost thirty people. Mostly local family, a couple girlfriends and their SOs, a couple co-workers... I even verbally invited my boss. Anyway, since sending the invitations three hours ago, I have one RSVP (my mom), and I expect maybe two more. I need more friends.

If the invites garner a mostly positive response, I'll serve chili, cornbread, spinach dip, potato skins and deviled eggs. Anything else I should add? Something sweet, perhaps. I also plan on having beer, wine, and gin.

I'm really excited about having a party, because I've always wanted my place to be "the place." It was hard to have my place be "the place" when my ex-fiancé had such a huge family and we were always going to everyone else's house for get-togethers. But now, dang it, people are going to come to mine, and they are going to have fun, because I say so.

I just love having parties, and I don't get a chance to do it very often. So far, in this house, I've had two: Mother's Day/my birthday and Thanksgiving. Mother's Day was with the ex of course, and we invited his family. We'd just bought the house and busted our bums finishing some of our projects before the party. I live near a big park, so we were able to walk to it with my nieces before dinner. Served a great lasagna, spinach salad, and crusty garlic bread. Chocolate cream pie and banana cream pie for dessert -- both from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. (Grrr. Every time I think about the fact that the ex took that cookbook with him makes me mad. It had my recipes for cream pies -- my favorite -- and fajitas. What does he even need it for? He'd eat condensed cream of chicken soup for every meal if he could.)

But regarding my excitement, D. is more cautious, saying he doesn't want me to get upset if no one shows up. I figure that as long as I have a couple of family members there and the Steelers are getting stomped, I'll be fine. I just don't want to end up with a pound of uneaten spinach dip, so I asked everyone to RSVP. With the amount of flaky friends and kind-of-friends-but-more-like-acquaintances I have, it's likely that not one of them shows up. Or maybe a good portion of them decide at the last minute, "Well... nothing better to do," and then I'm overwhelmed with a full house and not enough dip.

Anyway. Does anyone have any cool Super Bowl party stuff to share with me? Special food, games, drinks? Let me know!

(Some quick gossip -- one of my co-workers is a HUGE Ben Roethlisberger fan... went to college with him too. Well, she's out sick today. Wonder if she celebrated too hard last night?)

No comments:

Post a Comment